The primary job of the Janitor is to keep buildings in clean and orderly condition. This is a general cleaning position which includes cleaning of all general surfaces. Performing heavy cleaning duties, such as cleaning floors, shampooing rugs, washing walls and glass, and removing rubbish. Seasonal deep cleaning as needed.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Clean interior of buildings including floors, carpet, rugs, windows, countertops, and walls/cabinetry
- Disinfect commonly used items or areas like desks, door handles, office tools and phones
- Keeping assigned areas, such as office, commercial, or industrial buildings clean and orderly
- Maintain cleaning supplies inventory
- Work safely for self and the wellbeing of fellow workers
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Empty trash and recycling bins
- Other duties as assigned
High school graduate or equivalent. Experience as a warehouse worker a plus.
- Ability to speak, read, and write English
- Positive interpersonal and communication skills, initiative, and problem-solving abilities
- Attention to detail, prioritizing, organizational, and multitasking abilities
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Ability to use standard office equipment and software, basic keyboard/computer skills
- Dependable, punctual, professional
- Full-time, benefitted position
- Ability to drive a company vehicle on company property
- Ability to be trained in safe forklift operation
- Nursery and horticulture supply knowledge a plus
The janitor works primarily in buildings that are climate-controlled; in a smoke-free environment with moderate noise levels and dust. The employee may also work outdoors in all climates; including cold, rain, snow, and heat or in buildings that are not climate-controlled. The employee may be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, or agricultural elements due to the nature of the business. Must wear correct protective gear for handling items properly and safely, face mask, body suits, eye protection, ear plugs, gloves. On feet most of the day, occasional sitting; driving company vehicles between sites.
Ability to stand and sit for extended periods of time. Ability to move/lift 50+ lbs.; stand/lift/reach from ladder; push/pull squat, twist, turn, bend, stoop, and reach overhead. Must have good balance, common sense, manual dexterity, and use proper lifting techniques.
No direct supervision of any employees.