The basic function of the Purchasing Assistant is to assist the Purchasing Manager and the department by ordering products and reviewing vendor purchase information.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in maintaining appropriate stocking level of products for distribution
- Review order confirmations for correct pricing and order quantity
- Track off-site inventory coming in and going out of yard
- File paperwork into the appropriate vendor files
- Notify VP of Customer Relations of any cost updates
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Answer phone if customer service is busy
- Other duties as assigned
High school graduate or equivalent with (2) years of experience in administrative assistant work. Other experience may be considered as a substitute.
- Ability to speak, read, and write English
- Positive interpersonal and communication skills, initiative, and problem-solving abilities
- Professional and common-sense confidentiality skills
- Attention to detail, prioritizing, organizational, and multitasking abilities
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- The ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and percentages.
- Ability to use standard office equipment and software, basic keyboard/computer skills
- Familiarity with Internet and proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel and Word
- Familiarity with Eagle Epicor software a plus
- Familiarity with products/SKU’s a plus
- Dependable, punctual, professional
- Nursery and horticulture supply knowledge a plus
- Bilingual a plus
Works primarily 95% of the time indoors in a climate-controlled, smoke-free environment, with moderate to loud noise levels. The employee may also work 5% of the time outdoors or in buildings that are not climate-controlled where (s)/he may be exposed, and may be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, or agricultural elements due to the nature of the business.
Mandatory overtime in the busy season and some Saturdays.
Majority of the day is spent sitting and occasionally standing, working on a computer. May have occasional lifting of less than 10-25 lbs.