The basic function of the Customer Service Representative is to assist the Account Representative by promptly responding to customer’s inquiries while exercising professional conduct, including the confirmation of product availability and pricing. The Customer Service Representative may be the first point of customer contact and a positive buying experience must be quickly established – in the eyes of the customer – to avert a customer experience resulting in a lost sale, poor publicity, or customer dissatisfaction with the treatment they received. All interactions – whether with customers, vendors, or peers – must be courteous and respectful. The Customer Service Representative may also be the first person to become aware of the products customers demand and must share this knowledge with members of management.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide prompt professional responses to all forms of customer inquiries whether in person, by phone, or received electronically (e.g. fax, web-order, email)
- Ensure that no incoming telephone call goes unanswered by more than 3 rings
- Follow-up on pending requests, or ensure the person most appropriate to respond to an inquiry does so
- Respond honestly, completely and respectfully to requests or questions, explaining or comparing product information, as appropriate
- Familiarity with customer list and Account Representative responsible for the customer
- The Customer Service Representative must be knowledgeable and aware of product offerings – their availability, customer demand for them, their price, their use, and their value
- Determine availability of product requested by system lookup and/or physical inspection
- Quote customer orders with accurately computed product prices and authorized discounts
- Assist Account Representative with processing of customer orders
- Process orders accurately, efficiently, and timely to meet customers’ “need by” date or within 48 hours of customer request, whichever is later
- Promptly initiate and accurately enter sales orders in Epicor
- Prepare pull sheet, packing slip and sales invoice to accompany product deliveries
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise customers of outstanding credits balances if requested by Accounting Manager
- Advise customers of estimated ship dates or delays
- Coordinate shipping dates with the Logistics Coordinator, as appropriate
- Apprise Purchasing Manager of those products demanded which are not stocked or unavailable for sale, including insufficient quantities to fill a customer’s order
- Inform Inventory Control when discrepancies arise in inventory
- Assist colleagues to deliver a customer-centric atmosphere
- Other duties as assigned
High school graduate or equivalent.
- Ability to speak, read, and write English
- Positive interpersonal and communication skills, initiative, and problem-solving abilities
- Professional and common-sense confidentiality skills
- Attention to detail, prioritizing, organizational, and multitasking abilities
- Basic mathematical skills including the ability to compute units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals
- Ability to use common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Ability to use standard office equipment and software, basic keyboard/computer skills
- Familiarity with Internet and Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with Eagle Epicor software a plus
- Familiarity with SKUs a plus
- Dependable, punctual, professional
- Nursery and horticulture supply knowledge a plus
- Bilingual a plus
The Customer Service Representative works primarily (90% of the time) indoors in a climate-controlled, smoke-free environment, with moderate to loud noise levels. The employee may also work (10% of the time) outdoors or in buildings that are not climate-controlled where (s)/he may be exposed, and may be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, or agricultural elements due to the nature of the business.
Mandatory overtime in the busy season and some Saturdays.
Majority of the day is spent sitting and occasionally standing, working on a computer most of the day. May have occasional lifting of less than 10-25 lbs.