Direct and coordinate all Shop/Fleet department operations and manage current staff to manufacture and maintain company property. To track and maintain the proper insurances, licenses, registrations, & certifications for the company and its rolling stock, including: commercial trucks and trailers, Class C vehicles, heavy equipment, forklifts, and golf carts. Responsible for employee driver management including administering and tracking insurance and electronic log books, training drivers on use of log book software, guiding drivers through the insurance claim process and assisting them with claim issues, driver supplies, and processing driver tickets and fines.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Ongoing review of department productivity, ensuring department runs as smooth as possible on a consistent basis.
- Receive and verify orders from management for specific manufacturing/fabrication
- Be observant for property that requires maintenance
- Maintain, analyze and adjust work schedules
- Plan projects and ensure proper equipment and materials are on hand and ready to meet need
- Oversee and schedule maintenance as needed
- Solve production problems and handle quality issues
Rolling Inventory and Equipment
- Work with DMV and/or proper agencies to complete paperwork for purchase, sale, or transfer of fleet inventory
- Update all vehicles/maintenance logs with proof of insurance
- Track monthly mileage and IFTA gallons for Leasing trucks for internal and third party use
- Update, track, and maintain Commercial Vehicles, Forklifts, and Heavy Equipment maintenance logs stores 1, 2 and 3
- Work with General Manager to insure proper updates/maintenance on fleet
- Work with HR Manager to obtain proper employee information when needed
- Work with Shop Employees to obtain and/or distribute proper documentation for fleet and to ensure that all required maintenance and/or state/federal inspections are completed
- Keep administration updated on changes with fleet
- Administer, maintain, and troubleshoot electronic logbook setup/maintenance logs
- Train driver/employees on use of electronic logbook/maintenance logs
- Work with insurance company to add or remove drivers/employees from insurance policies
- Work with proper agencies to file and complete insurance claims from start to finish
- Responsible for managing fuel vendor accounts
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Help with Summer Expo
- Other duties as assigned
High School graduate or equivalent, associate degree with an emphasis on accounting preferred, with (2) years’ experience in management. Other experience may be considered as a substitute.
- Strong ability to speak, read, and write English
- Positive interpersonal and communication skills, initiative, and problem-solving abilities
- Attention to detail, prioritizing, organizational, and multitasking abilities
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Intermediate mathematical skill – Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, markups, proportions and percentages.
- Ability to use standard office equipment and software, basic keyboard/computer skills
- Proficient with Internet and Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with Eagle Epicor software a plus
- Dependable, punctual, professional
- Familiarity with commercial vehicle rules and regulations
- Nursery and horticulture supply knowledge a plus
- Bilingual a plus
- Class A CDL a plus
Works primarily 80% of the time indoors in a climate-controlled, smoke-free environment, with moderate noise levels. The employee may also work 20% of the time outdoors or in buildings that are not climate-controlled where (s)/he may be exposed, and may be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, or agricultural elements due to the nature of the business.
Mandatory overtime in the busy season and some Saturdays.
Manage shop personnel and drivers.